Monday, May 5, 2014

Medical Mondays: Good Intentions

Hubby is currently on his last day of a less time-intensive rotation (we're talking 8am-4pm shifts)!  At the beginning of the rotation when he saw how much free time he had, he began talking about all of these projects we needed to do, and how we needed to go ahead and do them while he had time to help.

Can we all pause to laugh for a minute?

I know he had the best of intentions.  I know he intended on helping.  And he did help...for three days...

I will be posting before and after pictures of our yard once the grass grows in (please please please grow!!!).  If you go back to this post, you will find all of the projects "we" worked on.

 The days he did help, he worked very hard.  He pulled out the stumps to some big bushes at the end of the driveway, helped to shovel some of the rocks (but not all), and planted (most of) the grass.

(They're finally gone!!!!!!!!!!!)


Oh yeah, and I planted a vegetable garden.  He tilled up the ground, but I picked out all of the grass/weeds and did the work!

All of this is in addition to all of the laundry, cleaning, finances, part-time work, cooking, taking care of the animals, etc. I (and we all!) do around the house.  And there aren't even kids in the mix yet!  I think all medical spouses should be considered superheroes!

When I called him out when I was working by myself and he was in the house, he said he got tired more quickly than he expected.  Poor guy.  I know he works hard and he deserves the down time when he can get it.  But it was his idea to start all of the projects, and I knew as soon as he suggested it that I would really be doing the majority of the work.

I am thankful for the help he did give, and I am super proud of all I (we) have accomplished in the past two weeks.

But no more projects for awhile, no matter how gung-ho hubby is.


11 comments:

  1. Ha! Our husbands always have the "best intentions", don't they? I've learned just to take the bull by the horns and do it myself with no expectations of him. It's just easier on my psyche that way. Then, when he helps out, I'm super appreciative!! :)
    Thanks for linking up with us for Medical Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I rarely ask him to help out around here (because half the time I end up either redoing or finishing what he does do, haha!).

      Delete
  2. Girl, you are a handy woman!! Hopefully his momentum will pick up & all you've done will inspire him to help out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha today I had to build a fence to keep the dog out of the garden (and by "build a fence," I really mean "zip tied some chicken wire to some stakes"). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This sounds all too familiar. I think I have done 99% of the packing for all of our moves. He lifts the heavy things but I spend all the time. It is what it is. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays and proving yet again we can do it all, or at least most of what needs to be done. Good thing we have them though:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! I am such a control freak, though, that it's probably better when I do the packing or projects by myself. Hubby packed some boxes while I was working for our most recent move and it was all I could do not to repack them. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Ha! "We" renovated our kitchen in medical school when he would have more free time - the only thing he managed to do was put in the new range hood, only after slightly electrocuting himself! I'm not sure he'll volunteer himself for a project for a long time still :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, ,meant to say that I bet your yard looks great though!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I hope it's finally done...I had to build a fence around the garden today because the dog wouldn't leave it alone, and still had a few rocks to figure out what to do with. I hope the grass grows soon! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. My husband has big project plans for this summer, his last ever summer off, and I'm thinking the same thing. But I love him for wanting to do so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to enjoy the "last summer," too! :-) We went on a cruise for ours.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.