Wednesday, May 7, 2014

DIY Initial Door Hanger

 I am normally a wreath-lovin' girl.  I have made several wreaths for my front door!  Unfortunately in this home, our door is red, which I love, but it tends to clash with my regular wreaths.  My spring wreath is pink cherry blossoms, but it looked terrible against the red door!


I was going to make just a daisy wreath for spring, but decided to be a little more trendy and make a letter door hanger!  I figured yellow would really pop against our red door.


You will need:
  • A letter (this one is 13 inches from Michael's)
  • Paint
  • Flowers
  • Burlap or ribbon
  • Hot glue gun
  • Paintbrush
First, I painted the entire letter yellow, making sure to also cover the sides.  (I didn't think you needed to see a picture of me painting it!)





After the paint dries, cut the flower off until the stem is flat against the bottom.


Glue the flowers to the letter in whatever arrangement you like.  I like things in threes.


If you have burlap, cut a length you want and then cut it in half.  If you are using ribbon, then just cut two lengths you want.  Basically you just need two lengths of material that are about 2-3 inches wide.


Since this is the support for the letter, I wanted to use a lot of glue to make sure it holds.  I glued a little bit of the burlap on at a time so it wouldn't dry out.


Again, since this is the support for the letter, I glued quite a bit of burlap to the back.  I just wanted to make sure it holds!  I glued the entire width of the ribbon.


Tie the top of the ribbon together (I just tied a regular knot).


The grand total for this project?  $12.66 and 20 minutes (to let the paint and glue dry).


I think it looks great!  Now to repaint the door...

4 comments:

  1. That is too cute! I love that idea in lieu of a wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so crafty and creative. I have not one ounce of Martha Stewart in my blood. Will you come and decorate my house too ha?? Hi from medical mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm not really all that crafty; I am just really good at adapting ideas from Pinterest :-)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.