February was supposed to be a good money month. It ended up being a month I would like to forget (money-wise). We had so many unexpected expenses that we had to dip into our savings.
End of Month: $594.64 over budget. Not counting about $900 worth of unusual expenses.
It was so frustrating because a lot of the extra expenses were out of our control.
- The dog split a nail, so we had a $120 vet bill.
- We ended up owing taxes...$397. Plus almost $80 for tax prep software and an extra state. I didn't include that in the budget since it was an unusual, once a year expense. I'll be getting about $80 back from the two states combined (to offset the cost of the tax software...)
- I wrecked my car into a pole and had a $500 deductible to fix it. I also did not include this expense in the budget since it was an "emergency fund" purchase.
- We paid $140 for Hubby's tux for a wedding he is in in April.
- I had to pay the second half of my new phone.
- It is still winter, so the gas bill was absolutely ridiculous: $242. I took steps to lower it this month (closed vents and doors to unused rooms, reprogrammed the thermostat), and it went down by $55
- I spent $177 to put two new tires on my car.
- We also spent too much on groceries.
I am so tired of seeing red. This accountability on this blog is not doing much except embarrassing me!
September: $1,024.55 over budget
October: $271.72 over budget
November: $1,037.86 over budget
December: Quit keeping up...
January: $152.18 over budget (not counting the $490 I spent on the Disney trip)
February: $594.64 over budget (not counting $900 from savings for federal taxes and car deductible)
Our expected unusual expenses for March:
- Bachelorette weekend trip to Nashville
- Spa Day ($100 but may cancel. I feel bad because it was supposed to be a thing with our resident spouse group and only two of us are going...)
- The U.S. National Figure Skating Championships are going to be in North Carolina next January, so I think I may go ahead and buy a ticket for it. My birthday was March 1, so I'm going to put the money I received toward my ticket, though, so I'm not going to include it in the budget.
Hopefully that will be all?