Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Decorating the Powder Room

Our powder room was one of my most recent things to decorate.  I had two pictures hanging in it, a decorative soap pump, and a small vase sitting on top of the toilet.  That was it.  We have one of those powder rooms where the sink and toilet face each other, and when I was looking for inspiration on Pinterest, most of the powder rooms I found had the toilet and sink side-by-side.  I did find a little inspiration, but was mostly on my own.

The room (and most of the downstairs) was already painted yellow, so I decided to stick with it.


I knew I wanted something more interesting than just a picture above the toilet since there is very little in this room, so I went to Lowe's and found some shelves.  I used a lot of the same principles of balance and layering as I did when I decorated my mantel

Of course there needs to be extra toilet paper, and before I officially decorated this room I had some in a basket on the floor beside the toilet.  

My original idea for the top shelf was to use an empty window frame to anchor the vignette, but had a difficult time finding one that fit my vision.  How do you find those, anyway?  Instead I found this pretty mirror at Homegoods.  At $25, it was more than I had wanted to pay, but I had been scouring the town for a window frame with no luck and was just ready to finish the decorations.

I found the wreath at a thrift store, and it originally had a few white seashells on it.  They were easy to cut off!

I know the mirror is not centered, but I think the total vignette is balanced since the wreath is so much wider than the vase.  It was an intentional decision.


That other thing on the sink is a candle.  I probably should have lit it for the picture; I'm not too great at this staging stuff.  You all get to see what my house always looks like!


This is what you see when you open the door.  I bought those pictures right after we moved in for this space.

I didn't take a picture, but the only things sitting beside the toilet are a nice toilet brush and some air freshener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.