Monday, January 13, 2014

Closet Organization Part 1: The Coat Closet

I use my coat closet as storage for a myriad of things.  Not only do we hang our coats in it, but I also use it for storage.

All of the shelving was already installed when we bought the house.  I think the bottom shelves are meant for shoes, but we keep those upstairs in our bedroom closet.


In the front live my vacuum cleaner and our flip flops (so we don't have to go all the way upstairs if we need to go outside for a second).


The top shelf holds my larger plastic bins.  I need a bigger bin for costumes; it is overflowing.  

The bins on top include:
  • Costumes
  • Candles
  • Paper Products
  • Camera and Video Equipment
  • Video Games and Computer Software



This is my most recent idea.  I used these little pencil baskets for student crayons and pencils in my classroom, so they were just sitting unused in a box upstairs.  I had my gloves and ear warmers sitting on a plastic bin in the top shelf because their normal home is upstairs in a seasonal clothing box.  I need them too much this winter, so I used push pins to attach these baskets to the wall to store them.


Our coats are organized in order of warmth.  Hubby's are first (since he has fewer).


The containers on the bottom shelves hold:
  • Baby Shower
  • Coin Wrappers and Old Bank Info
  • Curtains (I have only one or two extra curtains)
  • Games
  • Guitar Accessories
  • Index Cards (Hubby's notes for his tests)
  • New Year's Eve
  • Party Supplies
  • Pet Stuff
  • Hubby's Mementos (mine are in a big box in the garage)
  • User's Manuals
Our board games get thrown in wherever there is room.



Here is a closer shot of the labels I use on all of my bins.

To see the other posts in this series, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.