Monday, January 27, 2014

Chicken Marinara Casserole


A year or so ago, I had half a jar of leftover marinara sauce that I was trying to figure out what to do with.  I also had half a box of penne pasta.  I decided to try my hand at coming up with a recipe, and the result was a super easy and delicious casserole!

I am not good at coming up with titles or names, so when I wrote it down, I named it "Chicken Marinara Pasta Bake."  For the blog I realized it's a casserole, so I simplified the name.


This dish only has four ingredients to be delicious:  chicken, bite-sized pasta (this is actually an amazing pasta that friends brought me back from Italy...I told them they needed to go back and get me some more), marinara sauce, and shredded mozzarella cheese.

To save money, I only use one chicken breast for just my husband and myself.


Cook the pasta, drain, and add marinara sauce.


Cube and cook the chicken with a little bit of olive oil in a frying pan.  You can optionally season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano.  I do that sometimes (just sprinkle a little bit over the cut up chicken; I don't measure), but I didn't this time.


Mix the chicken with the pasta, pour into a casserole dish, and cover with mozarella cheese.


Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Chicken Marinara Casserole

Ingredients
  • 1 chicken breast, cubed (optionally seasoned with salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and garlic powder)
  • 1/2 a box of bite-sized pasta (i.e. penne or farfalle)
  • 1/2 a jar of marinara sauce
  • mozarella cheese
Directions

Cook the chicken with a little bit of olive oil in a frying pan until browned.

Cook the pasta until al dente, drain, and return to pan.  Mix with marinara sauce and chicken.

Pour pasta into a sprayed casserole dish and sprinkle mozarella cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted.


Side Note:  If you are visiting from a blog hop, check out my February Menu Plan!

Linked up at Thrifty Thursday and Love of Family and Home's "Inspire Me Please" blog hop!

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious!!!! I must make it soon, as I'm sure that it will be a hit with my family. Great idea to just use the one chicken breast, to keep costs down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always only use one piece of chicken for the two of us and just cut it in half horizontally. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.