Monday, January 20, 2014

"Brown Rice" with French Onion Soup

My recipe box is one of my most prized possessions.  I have been collecting recipes for years from my grandmother, Hubby's grandmother, my mother, friends, and the internet.  I should probably scan in my recipes just in case something were to happen.

Today I am going to share one of Hubby's favorite side dishes with you; a recipe from his grandmother.


Don't you just love those handwritten recipes?  Most of the recipes I have from family members I copied myself, so this one is special.


Contrary to the name, this recipe is made with regular old white rice.  (Side Note:  In December I tried to make the switch to healthier brown rice, but I just can't get over the texture.  I ended up throwing it away and buying more white rice.  Oh well.)

This recipe uses five simple ingredients:  white rice, a can of French Onion soup, a can of beef consumme (although I have messed up and bought beef broth before and it worked just fine), Worchestershire sauce, and butter/margarine.


In a frying pan, melt the butter together with the Worchestershire sauce.


Add in a cup of rice and saute until the rice turns brown (hence the recipe name!)


Add the contents of both cans to the pan.


Bring contents to a rolling boil.


I spray every pan I cook in (except for cookies) with cooking spray.  It makes cleanup soooo much easier.  Pour the rice mixture into a casserole dish and cover.  Covering is very important!  When I first began cooking this, I could never remember if it needed to be covered or not and Maw Maw's recipe didn't say either way.  After a few batches of sort of dry rice, I definitely remember to cover it now.


Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  When you take it out it looks like this!


So delicious!

Brown Rice

Ingredients:

2 T Worchestershire sauce
2 T butter/margarine
1 c. white rice
1 can of French Onion soup
1 can of beef consumme

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a frying pan, melt the butter and Worchestershire sauce together.  Add a cup of rice and saute until brown.  Pour in the soups and bring to a rolling boil.

Pour the mixture into a sprayed casserole dish.  Cover and bake for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.