Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Traditional Thanksgiving Feast

I love Thanksgiving.  So much.  I have always dreamed of setting a beautiful table, roasting a perfect turkey, and lovingly preparing all of the sides and desserts to go with it.  I don't want help; I want to do it all myself.

After meeting Hubby, I started going to four Thanksgivings.  Did you ever see the movie Four Christmases?  That is pretty much every holiday for us.  His family's Thanksgiving is a lot different from my family's Thanksgiving.  They both have a turkey, but other than that they are totally different!  I am such a stickler for tradition that I lean towards the Thanksgiving feast that I grew up with.

A couple of years ago I got to take over cooking the feast at my mom's house.  I was so excited and nervous.  That year she did about half of the sides, but I tackled the turkey.  I researched so many recipes and tried to combine some that sounded delicious.  I even carted my big roasting pan with a rack to my mom's house.

It. Was. Ah-maz-ing!  There is one secret that I think made the big difference.  It was flavorful and juicy, and I was so proud.


Last year I tackled the dressing for the first time.  This was one recipe that I got from my grandmother-in-law and cooked it for her Thanksgiving, then duplicated it for my mom's Thanksgiving.  I tweaked the recipe a little, and it was slightly dry, but otherwise delicious.  Everyone seemed to like it (I hope they weren't just being nice)!

Last year I cooked everything by myself at my mom's house, but it's still not the same as hosting at my own.  At my house I have all of the fall decorations and beautiful place settings.  This year we are not able to go home since Hubby has to work, so I am hosting Thanksgiving for the two of us.  I will halve the portions and use a turkey breast, but I will be able to do the table setting and play background music and all of the things that go along with hosting besides just cooking.

This year my new dish to attempt will be the pumpkin pie.  Mom always buys the frozen ones, but I am going to attempt it from scratch.  If anyone has a deliciously easy recipe to share, please post it in the comments!  I am going to be researching recipes over the next couple of weeks.

Over the next couple of weeks I will share my Thanksgiving recipes, but here is my traditional Thanksgiving menu:

Roasted Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Cranberry Sauce
Green Beans (or Green Bean Casserole)
Turkey Gravy (my favorite!)
Corn
Sweet Potato Casserole
Dinner Rolls (homemade)

Apple Crisp
Pumpkin Pie

Sweet Tea
Wine

What are your Thanksgiving must-haves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.