Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October's Money Plan

Like I wrote on my post Confessions of a Shopaholic?, I am going to try to do a monthly accountability post, where I will list our triumphs and failures of keeping a budget.

For September:

I sat down and tweaked the budget again.  I added a part for the extra expenses (travel, test fees, extra vet bills) and upped the monthly budget a little (because I was just adding the two biweekly paychecks, and really a month is a little longer than four weeks).  I also lowered the section for car gas because we don't drive as much in our new city as we used to.

End of Month:  $1,024.55 over budget.  Yikes.  Embarrassing!  But the point of these posts is to provide accountability for me and hopefully be able to see "Amount Over Budget" go down (and hopefully turn into "Amount left in budget").

Trouble Areas:
1) Shopping ($440.71 over $100 budget).
2) Eating Out.
3) Alcohol.
4) Miscellaneous. (including tag fees and spaying our puppy which added almost $400 extra)

Any Successes:
1) I already bought the two wedding gifts for November and Halloween candy.
2) We met our grocery budget of $350 with $1.48 left over.
3) Added $200 to savings.

I do need to tweak the gas budget a little again.  I'm still adjusting to our new lifestyles (with me not driving so far to work every day).


October's Plan:

I am going to print this part to put on the refrigerator so we can write on it when we do them.

Extra Expenses:
  • Trip to Georgia/the fair
  • One or two Christmas gifts
Entertainment:
  • One vineyard trip
  • Trip to a corn maze

Eating Out:  $250/month divided by 5 weeks for October=$50/week
  • Week of 
    • Oct. 1-5
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Hubby lunch ____________________
      • Tara lunch _____________________
      • Breakfast ______________________
    • Oct. 6-12
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Hubby lunch ____________________
      • Tara lunch _____________________
      • Breakfast ______________________
    • Oct. 13-19
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Hubby lunch ____________________
      • Tara lunch _____________________
      • Breakfast ______________________
    • Oct. 20-26
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Hubby lunch ____________________
      • Tara lunch _____________________
      • Breakfast ______________________
    • Oct. 27-31
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Dinner ________________________
      • Hubby lunch ____________________
      • Tara lunch _____________________
      • Breakfast ______________________
  • Shopping:  Put $100 in an envelope.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Hopefully.
I have a question about the $100 in the shopping envelope.  What happens if I buy something online?  Do I take that money out of the envelope and back in the bank?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.