Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chili: Easy, Quick, and Simple

The weather this week has turned from cool to downright chilly (40 degrees this morning!).  I got to use my fireplace for the first time and turned on the heat this morning.  It is perfect chili weather!

I make the same chili that my mom makes; I don't know where she got the recipe from.  I love this recipe.  It is very easy and perfect for a picky eater (like me).  The only difference between how she cooks it and how I cook it is that she heats it on the stove for an hour while I use the crock pot.

This recipe literally takes five minutes to throw into the crock pot.


Easy Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned
3 cans of tomato sauce
1 can of kidney beans (dark or light)
1/4 to 1/3 c. chili powder (I use 1/4)
Salt to taste

Crock Pot Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or until warm.

Stove Top Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a pan and heat on the stove for an hour.

Topping Suggestions:
Crumbled saltine crackers or oyster crackers, sour cream, shredded cheese, or jalapenos.  


Here is the chili right after I combined the ingredients.


This was Hubby's bowl with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and jalapeno peppers.


This was my bowl with lots of crushed saltine crackers.  Yummy!

Here is another tip for keeping the kitchen clean while cooking.  Since I need to stir the chili periodically and keep the spoon out, I just rest the spoon on a little saucer to keep my counter clean.



Often I will throw this recipe together in the crock pot the night before and refrigerate, so in the morning all I have to do is set up the crock pot.

This recipe also freezes very well so, as easy as it is to make for the first time, it is even easier to defrost leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.