Friday, October 18, 2013

Burlap Fall Wreath

I already had a fall wreath that I bought pre-made at Michael's, but I was not in love with it and had been thinking about making my own.  I was inspired by this post on the blog Echoes of Laughter to make an easy wreath.



I went to Michael's to buy my supplies when they had fall floral at 40% off.  When I am buying materials to make a wreath or floral arrangement, I actually put it together temporarily in the store so I know what pieces to buy.



I began by wrapping burlap around almost all of the wreath, leaving room for the floral picks and the bow.


I then selected two anchor pieces with sunflowers on them to go in the middle of the floral arrangement.  I put them in opposite directions so the flowers are in the middle sitting diagonal of each other and the rest of the picks are spreading out from the middle.


For this wreath, I selected one other big piece with another pumpkin on it to add a third "anchor" element.  I slid it into the top and created a little triangle with the flowers and big pumpkin.

 


Finally, I added two smaller pieces (one on the top and one on the bottom).


I have not mastered bow-making yet, so I bought a premade bow that I tied onto the left corner.  I also spread out the ends and wrapped them around the sides of the wreath.



Since it is a grapevine wreath, it is not perfectly circular.  This wreath does not require a lot of talent to make; just an eye for balance.  I tried to make sure that whatever I do to the top, I also do to the bottom.  The extra pumpkin pick adds just enough interest.

Here is a current picture of my front porch now that the mums have blossomed some.


You can see the right yellow mum is a little lopsided; that is because someone threw a rolled-up newspaper on top of it.  I wasn't thrilled, but I guess it's not really a big deal.

Happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.