Friday, September 6, 2013

Power...Purple Power

As much as I enjoy cleaning, I absolutely despise cleaning the oven.  I just feel like no matter what I use or how long I scrub, it just doesn't ever get completely clean.  In our previous rental home, I was never able to get the oven clean.  I tried the self-cleaning option to no avail.  Then I searched Pinterest and found the natural powers of baking soda and vinegar.  It still didn't work for me the way I expected it to.  Maybe the oven just had years and years and years of buildup and was beyond help.

The oven in our new house wasn't terrible, but it still needed to be cleaned.  I don't have a great "before" picture because I cleaned it before I thought about beginning this blog, but I did get lazy at the end and didn't clean the sides as well as I cleaned the door and the bottom.


That is what is left on the sides.  Maybe I will get motivated to clean the sides better another day.

If you are looking for an all-natural, organic, chemical-free method of oven cleaning, I'm afraid I can't help you.  Hubby had bought some Purple Power for something, and I was using it that morning on something else.  I just barely registered that it said it was a "degreaser."  Later in the day I had a light bulb moment, where I put "degreaser" and "dirty, nasty, greasy oven" together, and decided to give it a try.  I grabbed a paper towel and the Purple Power and went to work.  It took a little of the residue off, but not too much.  Then I had another light bulb moment to grab a razor blade to scrape the residue off.

A-maz-ing.  Spray and scrape, spray and scrape.  The residue just came off with very little elbow grease!


I alternated between wearing rubber gloves and not wearing rubber gloves.  I would advise wearing them, but I liked being able to run my hand over the surface to feel any residual residue.



I have never had an oven look so clean!  I did make sure to go over the surfaces with a wet towel to wipe away all of the Purple Power residue.  I wasn't sure it would be great to turn the oven on and cook food in it with the residue in there.


Any ideas on how to get the burned looking areas off?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.